well, living here for a year and a half is not very much of a long time. but it is definitely enough to list out a list of habits or culture of Korean people which is quite.. abnormal. in fact I was always amazed by all the jaw dropping things that they do. I am not saying all Korean people are like this but that is just my opinion. I may be right I may be wrong so try not to be sensitive about it. lets rock it.

1. Korean people are the heaviest drinkers on earth. in fact, Soju is the alcohol company that sells the most in the world I heard. and heck, they only cost less than 2 bucks (USD).

2. pretty girls, young girls, grandmothers, grandfathers all smoke. out of like 10 people I know probably only 1 doesn’t. I landed myself on a part time job and it seems like I am one of the very few employee who doesn’t smoke. my friends whom are born on 1995 smokes with that innocent face and attitude of theirs. I am not saying that smoking makes you.. not innocent. but it is rather common here.

3. Koreans can sing. truthfully, there are only 2 types of Koreans. the ones that are awesome in singing, and the ones that don’t. there is no wonder why there are so many Karaokes around.

4. not everybody is into KPOP. sure, there are a lot of young girls into EXO. but if you check out their phones, most of them have a whole list of English songs!

5. speaking of English songs, most people here thinks that people who speak English is cool. but this generation though.. most of them speak good English.

6. Ramen (instant noodles) are what students here eat the most. and I can assure you, they are the best (and one of the healthiest) instant noodles you can find all around the world! oh my shin ramen, bibim myeon and zaru soba. they even have japchae instant noodles! Korea is the instant noodle kingdom. like seriously.

7. Kimchi goes with everything. there’s even Kimchi chocolate. sounds too disgusting to taste it.

8. plastic surgery isn’t a secret. not many people would actually lie that they’ve done it.

9. Jang Dong Gun is the hottest guy in Korea. in their minds. I still like my Daniel Henney.

10. in Summer, you wear a bikini. with loadsssssss of padding. you can be an A cup with a deep cleavage because swimsuits here are.. well the sponge is as thick as how deep the cup is. and no matter how conservative, wearing a bikini is no problem.

11. the older, the superior or the man pays. it’s an unfair world. but that is how it is here. not so bad because I am a girl and is still young. and soon I am going to be in my 2nd year. that’s when I have to be either anti social or be always broke by paying for my juniors meals. hahah.

12. Korean people don’t know how to divide. it is not that they are not good at math; unlike Japanese people who would go up to the decimals if you’re going on dutch, a few thousand wons are not much of a difference. but generally Koreans do not split the bill. if your friend bought you a meal, you buy them coffee. they are about the same price anyway =D.

13. Psy is the hero of Korea. we even study about him in Uni.

14. there are 3 major religions in Korea. Buddhist, Christians and the no religion. while it seems more like a country with more Buddhists, there are actually more Christians. and some of them are rather disturbing. going around telling people that if you do not believe in Jesus you’d rot in hell. there are another type of scary Christian where they’d approach you and go on for hours about Christianity. oh. some of them even tries to be friends with you for the reason of converting you into one.

15. Camping is fun.

16. 7,000won for patbingsu is cheap. 7,000won for Kimchi Jjigae is expensive.

17. everybody enjoys watching 무한도전 Mu han do jeon (Infinite Challenge?). okay not EVERYBODY. but many of them =D.

18. only old people drink Whiskey.

19. Pok-dan-ju (Bomb alcohol lol) is the best drink. or you can also call it the So-maek. a mix of Soju and Maekju/beer.

20. Koreans loves their Coffee. you can find the widest range of coffees here. they CANNOT live without it. and believe it or not, the coffee shop culture have only been here for much lesser than a decade.

21. Sport shoes are the new sexy. no, they are not turn offs on a date.

22. it is true that Korean girls are hot with all the plastic surgery. but after being here for a while you’d come to find them looking all the same and that pretty is boring. and being different is the new pretty.

23. Korean girls all have nice slender legs. prettiest legs in Asia.

24. there are no strangers. don’t be shocked when a complete stranger in the sauna asked you to help scrub his back. or when somebody scolds you for something you just don’t understand =P.

25. unlike other races, Koreans will always be Koreans. and they are proud of it. my teacher told me that even when they are born in another country, they will always feel that Korea is their own country and there will always be this huge bond between them and their roots. unlike myself, I have never felt that I am from China despite being Chinese.

26. natural make up is the IN thing.

27. blood type tells what type of person you are. if you want them to think that you’re the perfect blood type, just say A. because As are known to be perfectionists and Bs are players. ABs are hipsters. and O are plain and lazy. you got me right! I am an O =S.

28. age, height and looks matters. a lot. but they usually ask for your age to know if they should speak to you in a polite manner or not. sometimes they would find it rather uncomfortable to speak to a person a year or two older in an impolite manner even though you told them to speak informally. so they might either go.. “ok!” or “I prefer speaking to you in a polite manner.”

29. you are apparently supposed to date many people to find the perfect type of person you’d like.

30.  there are the most type of anniversaries in Korea. poor guys here whom are supposed to make events to surprise their girlfriends so that they could boast about it. (presents and a decent dinner WILL NOT make the cut. you gotta be creative.) if you don’t do it? you do not love your girlfriend. or she might just as well get bored with you.

31. Baseball is popular sport here. the American influence.

32. they all wear the same. they ALL follow the trend. of course it is different for different age groups but the youngsters pretty much wears the same thing. being different is weird. I once had a friend ask me “why do all of you Malaysians look so different?!”

33. the coffee cup is an accessory too; not just a drink.

34. almost every youngster owns a Cruciani bracelet. and dull colours belongs to the younger ones while the bright belongs to the older generation.

35. hunting is perfectly normal. I meant, hunting for girls. it is not abnormal for a stranger to come asking for your number in the streets.

here’s my list of 35 things that I’ve noticed about Korean people. please do tell me in the comment box on what I’ve missed!

62 thoughts on “35 things I’ve noticed about Korean people.

1. Fiona says:

HI Jamie,,hahahaha… sooo funny, honestly, i’ve been making a list of “the things i learned about european culture” since I happen to be volunteerting with british people here!!!… I just found this post kinda related to what I’m doing..

== it’s just disturbing to know that they now more into american and canadian culture cause I was expecting that they more like of promoting their own. Well, I was also like that before but KPOP made me appreciate asian countries more.
    == i have heard about the blood type,, and it is indeed true,,, I’am an A so i’m perfectionist??? i guess that says so!!:S.. but if you are an A what is your best match???:D

donna moore, RN, BSN Reply:

It saddens to see such a beautiful country with such a history is thinking America is so envied. Their country and lifestyle and their emphasis on educat)ion. is to be admired. have advanced in technology ino a relativity short period of time (Samsung, Kia, ect).

fiona Reply:

you’re right.. 😀

donna moore, RN, BSN Reply:

I am from Richwood, Ohio in the United States of America and realize the opportunities that are here. M,experience with global travel is limited, but I envy the respect Koreans have for one another. Asians fascinate me! I too am working on my Masters–all things are indeed possible here. Thank-you for allowing me to share!

fiona Reply:

I really appreciate the way you view Asians:D… My volunteer experience gave me a lot more reasons to appreciate my own culture.. 😀

Seth Reply:

And yet their culture of racism and xenophobia, spitting, prostitution and inconsiderate nature towards people they don’t know (pushing and shoving on the subway for example) hasn’t advanced one iota. People compare them to the Japanese… Truth is, they are much more akin to the Chinese. There are good points to Korean culture of course, but all said and done, I left there with a rather negative impression of Korean people. I now live in Japan and feel much more at home.

2. Fiona says:

BTW.. i like this post… probably one of the best,.. :D:D (and a thumbs up!)

thank you! =D. they did not say what the best matches are but just.. telling who you are.

3. american apparel is lousy. period.

but I feel their clothes make you look really cool D=. plus they r the trend setters hahaha.

4. Adrian says:

Funny and I agree with them. Hehe

35 doesn’t work so well if you speak English. 🙁

hahahahaha. oh well it’s about Koreans =P.

Adrian Reply:

I’ll have to find the English speakers or improve my Korean. Shockingly asking If we think it’s going to rain today doesn’t help with numbers. hehe

5. hello! says:

malaysia iz best! haha

6. Shnwei says:

love this post n__n Thanks for listing down their cultures. at least i’ll have some clues when i ever get the chance to visit korea.
    btw im a blood type B but im never ever a player 😛

hahaha it is hard to say =P.

7. Reginia says:

korean couples love wearing couple shirt! this is what i’ve seen everywhere in korea 😛

hahaha blogged about that before =P. but then.. it’s reducing drastically these days =D.

8. korean says:

not everybody is into KPOP???? my phone old kpop songs
    korean People amerca love??? fu~ korean Germany love(ex.history,Economy)
    everybody watches 무한도전??? rating 11% <<< 일밤 rating 17%<<<개그콘서트 rating 18%

hello. I have stated that it is just in my opinion. =). and what I meant by KPOP is.. like.. big bang, 4minute, beast.. people like 4men, yu jae ha and other older singers aren’t.. kpop. I myself love k indie. I also hope what you said by “fu~” isn’t the rude one that I think it is. I don’t know about you but my friends all love America. or Canada. I do not watch 무한도전 myself but people around me has been talking about it so.. yes and gag concert too. don’t be mad because I STATED that it is only my opinion =).

9. korean says:

35 things I’ve noticed about Korean people (X)

35 things I’ve noticed about my Korean friends(O)

저는 한국 사람들의 욕을 하는 거아니라 제 독자들이 재미있게 읽을 수 있으면 좋겠어요. please don’t take it so personal and I hope you are not offended. if you are, I am sorry.

Christine Reply:

> #36. They get offended easily. They try their best to conceal their weaknesses. It’s a social problem in Korea. Just like why public surgery is so popular. Everyone is very insecure and they just cannot accept imperfection. It’s a sad society.

10. ouma says:

hi jamie love your blog. i just want to know; if you don’t mind ; if you had the chance to live in korea for ever and work there away from your country and your family, would you?

well I would if I get to earn a lot of money haha.

11. Jheesong says:

안녕하세요 저도 말레샤사람이고요. 죄송하지만 궁금한거 좀 있어서 물어보려고해요. 내용이랑 상관 별로 없는데 연세대에서 Korean Language Level 6 하셨던다 이말은 무슨 뜻일까요? 혹시 한국어능력시험 (TOPIK) 이신가요? 그렇다고 고급수준이랑 비슷한건가요? I have privacy concerns so I’m writing in korean I hope you don’t mind 🙂

전 topik 아직은 보지 않았고 그냥 연대에서 좁업했어요. 그 뿐이죠~ 6급은 level 6이랑 비슷하긴한데 연대에서 졸업했던 핵생들은 다 그 수준 아니에요.

12. donna moore, RN, BSN says:

I find S Korea fascinating with it cultural history and background. I wondr why they feel anything American is to be envied. I find their advances in technology and work ethic speaks volumns . Love that

I guess Americans are cool because they all speak English =).

13. hanie says:

agreed on no.14! gosh. living with the christian family and the wife is always yadayadayada about christian things even though she knows that am a muslim.she even drag me to the church every sunday..not forgetting to all church activities. – -“

right??? haha. I cannot tahan sometimes. wanna go scold some aunties (or tell them to show some respect) who protests at the street saying if you don’t believe in …. u will go to hell =_=.

14. donna moore, RN, BSN says:

No. 1 and 2 make me think that Koreans smoke like chimneys and drink like drunken sailors! Alcohol is prevalent here in the states–ask any college kid ! Love those Asians!!!

it is true!

15. emoshun says:

Hi Jamie,
    This is a nice blog you have. I was born and raised in Canada, but I had lived in Korea for two years teaching English. I also studied at UKM in Malaysia one summer 🙂

I’m just reading your list of 35’s and I just wanted to comment on #25. I think it’s more that a lot of kyopos are second generationers hence why they have more patriotic feelings towards Korea. Like myself, my parents are Vietnamese but I was born in Canada making me a 2nd generation. I still have sentiments of being Vietnamese despite not being born there or lived there, but many who are after me (3rd and 4th generations) have no sentiments at all. I kind of wonder if this is your case? Since you are Chinese in Malaysia, but Chinese people have been in Malaysia for quite sometime….?

Anyways I am visiting Korea for a long vacation soon, therefore I am looking at your blog for some tips as Korea has changed quite a bit since I lived there!

my friend’s a 3rd generation in Japan and they still refuse to hold a Japanese passport. it is kind of a Korean thing really! thanks for reading!

16. donna moore, RN, BSN says:

No. 14 is interesting. I know a Korean doctor who lives and practices here in the states, and he is very involved in Methodist missionary work in Korea. He is very much a dedicated Christian and hasn’t forgotten his roots.. However, the first two things he asked me was “how old are you? ” and “what faith?” Very interesting!

17. Christine says:

You left this out: 9 out of 10 Korean guys are jerks. Don’t get fooled by all the Secret Garden, Rooftop Prince guys, they don’t exist.

fiona Reply:

interesting!!! 😀 noted.. 😀

18. rena says:

guys wear same eye-glasses :p like the hipsters type one. just the same with girls with same make ups and same coats 🙂 i saw it everywhere!!!!

hahaha they are all pretty similar aren’t they!

19. JD says:

Hi. It’s funny.
    Blood type A are known to be timind person not a perfectionist.
    If a person heard ‘You look like blood type A’, he or she would feel bad.
    I can’t understand#15. Is camping means MT(membership training)?

really?! hmm but my friends all loved being A and they are proud of it. I guess it’s how each person interprets it. no, camping isn’t MT.

20. Min says:

just came back from my trip to Korea…even before that I think Jang Dong Gun is the ultimate yummy KOrean star….hahhah..the younger ones don’t even come close…Daniel is hot but I don’t think is fair to put him in the list as he is not 100% Korean :p

that’s not fair too all halfies! haha. it’s sad they are hot but can’t join any beauty contest or represent a country sometimes. =P.

21. Alya Feliz says:

Hi, I’m from Indonesia, south east Asia. You should go here if you have time. There are so many beautiful places and cultures and even we have hundreds of vernaculars. Bali, Lombok, Raja Ampat, Malang, Jogja, and other beautiful places here are waiting for you 🙂

22. Cindy says:

Hahahahahah this was so funny, and sooo true! (even tho i’ve never been to Korea…) But I’ve found your site b/c I’m heading to Korea in 25DAYYYS COUNTDOWN WUT WUT~

23. Yaya says:

Hi, the university that you’re studying in, the course is being teach in korean language or English?

Cindy Reply:

Hey! Actually in Yonsei- in class right now! They teach in korean and if u must, most teachers can speak English, some can chinese

not during my time =(.