if you haven’t already know, yes I am admitted to Sungkyunkwan University for their Business course. I will explain about why I choose this course later but for now I would like to share a little bit of my experience here before I forget everything.

so there are about 300 over students (10% foreigners!) who got accepted this term. as many of you who are interested in Korean Universities should know, they are known for having the best Business School (so as the professors here say) and even the ajusshis on the 1000won and 5000won note attended SKK.

I got to know about the orientation last minute because of their not-so-foreigner-friendly system where they informed everyone through CYWORLD (where most foreigners do not use) and thank goodness for a message at midnight from them, I got to know on the very moment I was supposed to be there. even though late, I am pretty sure I did not miss much. except I had to skip the whole day of class in Yonsei. I’ve never skipped a day, mind you.

so at the orientation, we were divided to 10 classes which makes 30+ people in each class and I am glad I was in my class. my class monitor, a year 3 student, looks like that lead character from LOTR except much cuter and brighter. then there’s a student who can sing incredibly well whom also have a bright character. a guy who look like Yoon Yoon Jae from Reply 1997 who has his surname and middle name the same as well. what coincidence! and a lot more. they all into alcohol and they taught us how to play “alcohol games” for almost the whole day. (there were A LOT. A LOTTTT of games. and they had like 10 different type of short songs to sing when they want somebody to drink) and of course, we went drinking as well later.

I felt a little left out, to be honest; it was very difficult for me to follow them as it is all in Korean. you can say I am good in Korean, but I am still slow. I couldn’t speak like a bullet train or match up to their speed. and it was quite exhausting for them too to explain the rules to the games to me.

overall, it was really fun. except I was one of the oldest T_T. all of the foreigners in my class are the same age as me but there were no Koreans my year who was even the same age. it was quite saddening to have to see so many cute guys in the orientation hall and then having the thought that they would eventually call me “nuna”, older sister in Korean. but if you wanna see cute and pretty girls, I can tell you that there are as many pretty girls here as there are in Yonsei despite the students in Yonsei being mostly all rich girls.

but in the middle of all these fun activities, they HAD to slit an hour talk of SKK’s history by a veryyyyyyy experienced professor whom had graduated 30+ years ago from our school. it was pretty interesting except his words were really deep and there were parts which were really boring. he even said himself that we could sleep if we want! which 50% of the hall did.

they showed us a version of the “gangnam style” made by SKK students (I know I know, you are probably sick of it.) but I thought it was a pretty original remake hahaha. at least they had their own lyrics and I actually liked how they filmed it veryyyyy much. best remake quality in Korea in my opinion. except they might need a better microphone. anyway, here’s it!

16 thoughts on “Sungkyunkwan Orientation

1. ASD says:

Hello,

How old are the locals who get enrolled into University usually range from?
    If i’m not wrong most boys will study for 1 year in their Uni and after that they would have to enter the military for 2 years before coming back to finish their degree, is it true?
    It’s just a matter of time before you get used to their language, don’t worry too much!

for year one in this year (2013) they are students born from 1993, 1994 and 1995 ><. quite young you can say. it depends on if they wanna go to military first or later. they can choose I heard. but they usually go on their 2nd year~ thanks xD. I hope so T_T.

2. Mel says:

Hi Jamie,

Like you, I am also a foreigner starting spring semester this year. Yes… I totally understand why one would feel left out. Koreans are a close-knitted community and they are known for their homogeneity. I am curious to whether you feel like that too back when you were at Yonsei.

yeah T____T. sigh. in Yonsei it wasn’t too bad. but you need to spend more time with your classmates = money. which I didn’t mingle with them much. =S. oh well I am stingy like that =S.

3. michelle says:

the other day, i played games too.

my hangul mal is level 1. imagine that. T____________T

hahhahaha. learn more! =D. you can do it!

4. Jia says:

Hello, I’m interested in SKK’s graduate school and am thinking of applying there. It would be great if you can explain a little on your experience applying to uni (hopefully it’s the same as graduate school) and is it very hard to get into the school?

Thanks πŸ™‚

I have no idea but graduate schools in Korea are generally pretty easy to get in because there are not too many foreigners here in grad school and they often provide scholarships for grad school too! harder for undergrad =S. very hard.

5. J says:

Hi Jamie,

I really enjoy reading about your life in South Korea and I’m honestly planning to head there to study too. However, my parents recently pointed out this small factor that they asked me to look into – which is does Malaysian government recognise the South Korea universities and their graduate programmes. I’ve tried to look into it but to no avail (couldn’t get a straightforward answer), and I was wondering if you happen to know if universities like SKK and even the course you’re taking now is recognised by the Malaysian government.

Thank you for your time.

I am not sure really. I do not hope to work in Malaysia in the future =S. if I can’t find a job here then I don’t have a choice but to go back T_T. but the thing is you might probably have to study your course here in Korean so it MIGHT not be so recognizable for certain things unless it’s like engineering or something related to electronic and technology. =D.

6. XJ says:

Hi Jamie, I’m really curious about how you decided to go to uni in Korea and not in Malaysia? If you could, do you mind describing how you applied to SKK University? Thanks! πŸ™‚

7. Linqyee says:

Hi, Jamie πŸ™‚

I have read your articles about studies in Korea. May I ask u some questions?

Did you register urself for course in SKK? Is it complicated to prepare the documents?

As I might study languages and degree in different university too, I afraid it will affect the application like maybe it will be harder or mistakes.

Then, have you try to apply for any scholarship in SKK? How much is the fees per sem? And normally how much u spent for ur expenses a month?

And also I read that u wrote about the studies is very stress and some negative things, but do u enjoy ur life in Korea? Like do u ever regret to study in korea?

I really hope that u may answers my questions, and to clear my doubts too. Thank you.

that’s a lot of questions hahaha. I did all the registration by myself and it was a pain in the ass =_=. Korean uni’s want so many documents and the format change every year. language and uni is two separate things. I didn’t apply for any scholarships lol. I’m too blur to find out =S. fees differ from year to year so by the time you enter it might be more expensive. expenses here raises everytime but I’d say an average of 400-500USD is sufficient if you live like a normal human being without much shopping. rent is around 400-600USD depending on what type you rent. it might go up till 800-1000USD too. my HK friend here spents 3000USD every month on living expenses. studying here is really stress lol. I regret for not going to Japan instead (its ex but stress-free uni and VERY HIGH pay for part timers. Korea’s part time pay is around half of Japans but living expenses almost as expensive lol.) sometimes but since it doesn’t exactly have natural disasters here except for.. N.Korea’s threat.. I guess I feel “safer” here. I enjoy my life here except for during the semester. haha. sometimes I felt so restless and lifeless I wanted to give up but I’m already 60% through so I might as well fight through it. we are foreigners fighting with Koreans in Korean. so we’ll have to work 2-3times harder! but of course, I’m quite a hardworking student. (some Msian scholarship student got sent back home because she was so stressed and was going crazy here I heard =S.) some kids come here to play, they look like they’re having fun =).

think wisely and I hope you don’t regret your choice.

linqyee Reply:

Thank you for your reply! Appreciate it πŸ™‚

Do u think staying in the same uni for language and undergraduate will be more convenient and easier in terms of preparing documents and application? Or it still need to go through the same process?

i read that u applies for two uni right? So in the end did the other uni approve u as well? Oh ya, I saw most of the uni required the recommendation letters too, did u prepared that?

I prepared recommendation letters =). same troublesome procedure. there are no links. it’s two different thing like I said.

linqyee Reply:

Who u find to write the recommendation letter for u? Ur Korean language teacher or professors in Yonsei? Sorry if I have to much questions