hi. I would like to first tell you that this does not apply to all. but a portion of them. and it is just my own culture shock on it.

lets start with being careful on going out with a Korean guy one on one. my Korean friends told me that it is UNUSUAL for people who have no interest in each other here to go out one on one. I don’t understand much but I hang out with my guy friends who I am very sure that I have no interest in and vice versa a lot.

it’s no doubt that this country is filled with tradition and manners. but it does NOT mean that they are not open. in fact, they’ve adapted to the open mind set of the American society and turned it into what everyone do (in a bad way) because they think it’s cool. which will just normally end up to one thing.. that these Korean guys are only nice to you because they want “IT”. they do not take things slowly, play the game of courting but instead jump right into it. I don’t play games but for me, I guess dating a person I just got to know is pretty disgusting.

well, if you’re here for a while. just keep in mind. if a Korean guy is nice to you. they probably don’t JUST WANNA BE FRIENDS.

and you should really get to know them well. unless you are okay with dating an ugly man whom should just be fine. most importantly, you should know how they do “introduce-dating” as in, a group of guys whom one of them know a girl from this other group of single girls as well and they would set up a meeting. and it’s called sogaeting. sogae from “introducing” and ting from “dating”. on these events, if you didn’t meet someone you like, it’s okay to just walk away. but if you did……….. and he feels the same for you. he’d probably bring you to a love motel before you even realize. ON THE SAME DAY. this had happened to some foreign student as well.

next, in clubs. ALWAYS GO WITH MALE FRIENDS. you think just going with a girlfriend is fine? well, unless you’re rich/capable enough to get into the VIP zones of a quite prestigious club. if not? you’d get touched everywhere you go (but that doesn’t apply to all clubs. I went to Cacoon yesterday and guys there raise their hands up like as if a gun’s pointing their way. I guess there were too many molest cases there haha). and what happened to me earlier this month was a caucasian guy whose THING raised up to where I could feel it. he was cute no doubt and could speak Korean pretty well. but definitely horny. I ran away right away and just chilled at my seat after that. which later a group of Jap/Korean gangster looking guys came to the table in a VERY aggressive way. straight putting their hands on our shoulders and sat realllly close to us. which I then left right away. >_>”.

also, if you walk around in Hongdae (the club workers lost our bags the night before so we had to go there in the morn at 7 fml) in the Morning, you’d find guys who aren’t drunk anymore come chasing you around asking you to have a drink with them (like wth. seriously? 7 in the morning?). my experience earlier was 2 guys in a nice car just stopped in the middle of the road, wind down their window and said “you look very familiar. did I meet you yesterday?” very corny pick up line. can’t believe they still use it. but they were hot U_U. but never ever let their handsomeness fool you. it’s probably just their plastic surgeon that’s good. just be straight forward and say “gwenchanayo” (it’s okay) and walk away. I seriously wonder if any girls would fall for it though. but there must be since they kept doing it (my friend told me these stories since years ago) and as you walk along Hongdae you’d get EVEN MORE guys approaching you asking you if you would like to have a drink with them. I am not saying this because I think I am oh so beautiful and there are a bunch of guys flocking around me. I have heard that even the huger girls get these a lot. my friend described the huger girls like girls that nobody would want to date in Malaysia based on appearance. the conclusion is that, they will just approach ANY girl in my opinion.

and I am telling you these for you girls to be careful and so that you wouldn’t get some really bad experience here in Korea =).

as for making friends, the thing you MUST remember at ALL TIMES as a foreigner is that. in their brain, it’s already set that FOREIGNERS ARE EASY. so I just wish nobody would get any sort of traumatizing experience like me and do not think that “oh I love Kpop/Kdrama hence I must get a romantic Korean boyfriend”. because if it really happens, it’s one in a ten thousand.

also, guys approach girls OPENLY here. it doesn’t matter if they are hot or not. if you’re their style, they will approach you and try to get your number. normally, you can just give them a fake one. but they since are very persuasive and persistent sometimes you might give up to them. but my advice is, DON’T. since you don’t know them anyway, let them get hurt and just step on their ego if you have to. for your own safely. it might sound like a fun experience but I am telling you, hearing about is it more than enough. I have heard many stories about how even housemates can keep bugging and stalking a person. it’s sad.

truthfully, I just wanted more Korean friends because my classmates who have a lot of Korean friends improve REALLY FAST. but it’s probably better to have a friend introduce them to you than to blindly look for one. it didn’t turn out that well for me but at least I quit. it’s pretty disgusting I have to say. so girls, if you think Korea is a safe place for you to just hang around knowing new friends, think twice.

but I must say, there are also the nicer ones (and usually the less fashionable ones) which are very very nice. and what I have learnt from these nicer Koreans (they told me) are that if you avoid a guy’s touch it means you “want” more in a way like you’re “acting” shy. doesn’t apply for Malaysian girls like me but I’m in Korea so now it does matter. if you don’t like the person you have to tell him straight on the face with no mercy because it’s not a rude thing to do in Korea.

so this is my 2 cents for you about Korean guys =D. hope it helped.

38 thoughts on “Korean Guys.

1. Ling says:

Love this article. more understanding towards the typical korean guys!

thank you! well just from my point of view right now after being here for 2 months ^^.

2. Miki says:

So true.. =_______= Me and my fren was approached and the guy wanted to bring us to club in Hongdae. He practically was dragging but luckily one of my Korean guy friend came. Be careful there!

korean guys tsk tsk. the typical ones. you should’ve just rejected him in the face. =P.

Miki Reply:

Was kinda stunned then… XD Culture shock!!

3. Da Feng says:

How about Korean ladies?

didn’t get to know any yet =S. as in like typical Koreans all of them that I know spent some time overseas before so they are cool xD.

Da Feng Reply:

I see. Did you realize about difference between Korean guys and Malaysia guys?

4. Mel says:

Hi, interesting article here. I have heard somewhere that in clubs, korean guys are just going for one night stand. And, sadly that is where all the good looking guys are. As a girl myself, I am glad you are sensible enough to not be fooled by their good appearance. Be safe!!!

it’s true. haha. but not only Korean guys. foreigners especially. and yeah, there are a lot of good looking guys there. =P. being here for a while will make you get used to looking at good looking faces and perhaps.. change ones shallow mindset haha.

5. uf says:

warned you right? hv u seen ppl spit on d floors? lol

abuthen?! ahaha when did you warn me. I already know before I came =P. just that now I am telling people about it since I have first hand experience!

6. Gin says:

go have fun =p ure only young once. HOHHHOHOHO

hahaha I am having fun! =D. but still people here are a little too wild for me to catch up with T_T.

7. the rock says:

hell yeah….. that’s a big slap on those horny korean guys.. i’m an english teacher so i know it…. usually they think they’re handsome but actually not….. thumbs up jamie……

in Korea too?! haha. I am pretty mean here ain’t I? =X. thanks! =D.

8. Alien says:

wow! thanks for sharing! ๐Ÿ˜€

welcome! thanks for reading my long winded post!

9. martha says:

please DO NOT date a korean especially if you are non-korean.They don’t really see a nonkorean girl the same way as they look at a korean girl. I have some korean guy friends there and they are JUST good as FRIENDS. Make friends but be careful of them. It’s not being racist or anything but.. please just listen to my advise. Glad u are a smart girl Jamie :)) Can’t wait to see u soon. lol.

martha Reply:

I mean I have some korean guy friends HERE in America

I believe we should not stereotype but instead just be more careful ^^.

martha Reply:

you are right. but be really careful lol. anyways, i will be on Arirang Radio tomorrow for the show Morning Call hahhahha. Do listen to the radio if you get a chance. lmao. I believe it’s 6am korea time ๐Ÿ™‚

suliana Reply:

I agree with you Martha! despite my dream of having a Korean bf or Korean baby im gonna try&get over it coz not only do Korean guys prefer Korean girls but I think theyre assholes so its better just to stop dreaming about them due to kpop&k-drama influences&stop wasting our time

10. siu says:

That’s totally f**king right!!!
    I just got into a situation like this when I walked back to dormitory from my friend’s house alone at night and a korean guy came to me and kept talking to me, I just pretended that I don’t understand Korean at all, he still following me and tried to talk in English, that was really scaring especially there wasn’t anyone else there …. and he asked for my phone number, and just ended up to give me a fake number and fake name. fortunately, he walked away with those fake info!!!

hahaha chill!! you just gotta get used to it. it’s their culture ^^. if it’s me I would just walk away but yeah no doubt they are very clingy. =S.

11. Ginny Hana says:

Thanks for the tips! I guess that’s the precaution before we should actually go there..

yes you should =P. it’s dangerous here!

12. nur sheila says:

hi jamie!!been reading ur blog for quite a while n i enjoy reading it a lot!!:) n ur blog is really helpful too coz i’ve been referring to it as my reference for my coming trip to seoul.in 2 weeks time.yeay!!! anyway, can i ask u something? what time does the subway start to operate and what time does it end?

omg you should be here by now U_U comments have been piling up! xD. thank you! I’m glad I could help =P. the train should operate at about 5 and end around 12-1. =).

13. Phil says:

I have been reading your post sometimes. I was born and grew up in S.Korea and lived in Malaysia for 3

years. I know how you felt when guys approached you just for sex. Even though this doesn’t apply to

everyone but one thing you need to know is Koreans are very open in sexual relationship even more than

some of European countries. I used to hit on girls in the clubs and pubs to have one night stand.

When I was in Malaysia, I was shocked that my Malaysian friends around me, never had sex before. They

were early 20s just like me. I guess that people in Malaysia are influenced by their Islamic culture so they

are more cautious to have sex with someone.

Anyways It’s not offense to you. I wish you enjoy your times in Korea

I am not sure if it is an influence by Islamic culture but for me I think I would only do it if I really really love somebody haha. and that will take some time xD. Islams on the other hand cannot do it before marriage so I guess we are just protective of ourselves =P. enjoying my stay here ^^.

14. Byoo says:

Did Korean guys will date a Malaysian girl?

why not. haha. but most korean guys portray foreigners to be open and don’t take them seriously.

Byoo Reply:

Oh…Thanks..^^ I’ve reads many women that coupling with a korean man.And all of their comments are positive.They said that korean guy are nice and some of them were not. Anyway,can I ask you? Did you learn a korean language before went there?

15. suliana says:

OMG Jamie!! u have totally summed up my experience in Korea too! im from Australia&i came to Seoul in February I met a Korean guy on my last night through friends&we went clubbing in Hongdae with his Mexican friend and my Finnish house mate&let me tell you that when they dropped us home he was trying to kiss me&shit but I stopped him anyway I just came back to Seoul yesterday&met up with my Korean girlfriend who is friends with him&she invited him to join us so we went karaoke&dinner and afterwards the Korean girl went home to sleep&the guy was suppose to take me home but as soon as we got inside the car his hands were in my pants&he was trying to kiss me eww-_- I was grossed out I couldn’t believe how horny he was! Despite stopping him the next thing I know he pulled up at a LOVE HOTEL:0 I had the shock of my life!I tried to explain I just want to go home but he wouldn’t listen so after he paid&we went inside the motel (don’t know why I didn’t run away at this stage! maybe coz I was clueless&had a stupid idea that he rented a motel for us to talk,silly me) and he started forcing himself on me I kept pushing him away&telling him to stop coz i’m not that kind of girl&i will not sleep with him but he was so fricking horny he wouldn’t listen to me just kept trying to take my clothes off&shit..freak I thought he was gonna rape me:( After numerous attempts of stopping him I said im gonna go home so as soon as we went downstairs&he returned the key I ran for my life! Such a horrible traumatising experience that will scar me for life&put me off Korean guy for a long while Jamie I agree with your analysis of Hongdae clubs guys always touch you unless you walk in with your guy friends I don’t understand why Korean guys are only after a one night stand when I have met guys of other ethnicities who take their time to get to know you&will court you before they even think about sex I think Koreans have no respect for women all they want is sex it disgusts me!

eeunha Reply:

I agree … most of my friends also think that having a Korean bf is something so great or people will think that they are a freaking hot couple (if both are hot) or something .. Iโ€™m a half – Korean btw so from experience I think Korean guys prefer foreigners as they are โ€œeasierโ€ and they treat girls like step-on mats or toys to just to play for awhile then throw it away. YEAH so donโ€™t expect too much from a hot/good looking Korean chap. The nicer ones usually study so they donโ€™t really go to clubs. So finding a bf in one of the clubs really isnโ€™t a good idea.

eeunha Reply:

Fml .. this was 4 years ago HAHAHA exactly 4 years ago. Last comment was on the same day as well lol!